What patients can expect…
The acoustic waves generated by the PiezoWave2 therapy sources converge at a point deep within the soft tissue to produce an intense, extremely short duration pressure wave. This focused acoustic compression force is translated to the surrounding tissue like an extremely precise therapeutic deep tissue massage.
- As the clinician identifies the treatment site(s), these will be charted for future treatments.
- The clinician will then apply a thin coat of coupling gel. This gel helps to translate the acoustic sound waves generated by the therapy head to the body.
- The clinician will start the treatment at a very low output setting and increase the power to a level that is tolerated by the patient and allows for definition of the treatment site. The output level and acoustic wave frequency rate may vary from location to location based on the depth and type of tissue being treated.
- As the clinician moves the therapy source around the treatment area, the patient will feel a deep, dull ache that is familiar to the patient as being like the pain their condition produces. The clinician will ask the patient to report when he or she feels the ache and will adjust the output of the device to the appropriate level tolerated by the patient. The clinician will ask the patient to confirm that the therapy source is still creating the ache and may adjust the location of the treatment based on the patient’s feedback. If at anytime the treatment becomes uncomfortable, the patient is instructed to mention this to the clinician and the output is adjusted to a comfortable level.
- After the treatment is completed, the coupling gel will be removed and the patient can return to their normal activities. The patient may experience some minor aches or discomfort after treatment. It is not unusual for patients to notice fl ushed or reddened skin around the treatment site.
How long does a course of treatment last?
- A typical MyACT treatment takes between 10 and 20 minutes
- Normally, 1-2 treatments per week are performed
- A total of 3-5 treatments may be necessary before lasting improvement is achieved